Friday, November 16 2012, 09:46 PM CST
Phoenix fire destroys business
By Jessica De Nova/KTVL.com
PHOENIX, Ore.-Ken's Auto Repair on the corner of North Main and First Street in downtown Phoenix was on fire this morning.
Owner, Ken Peck, was working on a gas tank when gas spilled onto a drop light. The gasoline on the hot bulb sparked a fire. He tried to put it out himself with a hose, but when smoke filled the air and it was difficult to breathe, he ran out and called 9-1-1.
Levi McDonald shared his pictures of Peck evacuating the burning auto shop with News 10.
Jackson County Fire District Five received the call around 11:30AM. Being stationed just around the corner, they arrived at Ken's within a minute to flames already rolling out doors and windows.
There were 16 personnel on scene and four engines from both Jackson County Fire District Five and Medford Fire.
Division Chief of Jackson County Fire District Five, Darin Welburn, feels that District Five has "a pretty good cause" for the fire since there were witnesses and the business owner was inside the building at the time.
Neighboring businesses were not damaged, but Chief Welburn says in Peck's shop "the garage area and the office area [were] a total loss throughout."
Chief Welburn adds, "a lot of his tools are you know, probably going to be salvageable. You know the hand tools and wrenches and those types of things, he feels he'll be able to salvage, but till we get it all mopped up and allow him entry again, he really can't tell that."
Peck hopes to retire in about two years. He says he does not know what he will do between then and now with his shop burned down.
He leased this building and is not sure he can continue his business. Peck says, "If I continue on the business, I'm gonna have to find another building some place and I don't think I'm gonna find a building that's affordable."
There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire and fire crews cleaned up the scene for about two hours.
Peck describes the loss of his business this morning with one word..."nervous."